Wednesday 15 August 2012

What's On the Workbench? WIP

I am working towards putting a bit of a tutorial together about how I paint my figures, but for the moment I will give you a glimpse of what's on my workbench for August.

Above you can see the Staghound waiting for its decals & final weathering; some  Commandos converted from Airfix British & mystery beret heads, in process of being painted; and a Ready to Roll Half-track loaded down with resin stowage from Black Dog- this has been undercoated in light grey. The Black Dog stuff was designed for an Academy kit I think, so some filing and cutting had to be done to achieve a fit.



Another shot of the Half-track undercoated. The stowage really lifts this model I think. I will also be adding some crew/passengers and a machine gun to the ring arrangement. The figures will be from Kelly's Heroes and AB.




Above is an Airfix DUKW which will be receiving more of the Black Dog stowage plus some bits from Sgts Mess. The plan is to make some sandbags to go on the bonnet/front, out of either Milliput or Greenstuff. I have already changed the ring mounted machine gun for a spare from a Dragon Sherman kit- has lots more detail. The vehicle will be crewed by AB figures along with some possible passengers from HaT squeezed in next to the equipment in the back.
From my reading of "Assault Crossing" by Ken Ford, I know that the Wessex boys made use of DUKWs for transport on their way to the Seine.




Click on the above picture if you want a larger picture. These are some more Battlefield Commandos which are waiting for more paint- lots to do here.

In addition to these things I have also started putting together a farmhouse from Scalescenes, which is taking some doing- lots of bits to cut out and glue.

Cheers for now,
JS.

Welcome to the blog's newest follower, Michael from Model Command blog , it's a new blog, but he already has some classic WW2 goodness posted- check it out if you get a chance.

17 comments:

  1. Crikey John, thats a mass of great stuff you have o your plate.

    The stowage looks really very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not wrong mate. At the moment I've been spending my evenings constructing a card farmhouse from Scalscenes- fiddly, but not yet frustrating.
      Glad you like the stowage- bit pricey though.

      Delete
  2. That's a lot to do John.
    Your progress rate is going sky high!
    Waiting to see the whole lot finished.
    T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could be waiting a while T, I keep finding other things to do. Slow & steady wins the race- no stress, after all it's meant to be fun.

      Delete
  3. I appreciate the halftrack pics. Been cleaning up a pile of resin halftrack stowage myself recently. I think you are right about the BD set being designed around the Academy M3A1.

    Cheers, Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. Quite tricky that resin stowage, managed to break some pieces in the process, thankfully they glued back together. Lots of work with hack-saw and file- quite dusty.

      Delete
    2. Yes keeping clear of the dust is a pain. Out of interest how much did the BD stowage cost - youre in Aussie right? The stuff I am using was AUD $10 for 2 sets. Also interested in your technique of attaching it and painting it on the vehicle. I am sure my painting methods are a lot simpler than yours but I have been painting my items separately then adding to the painted model with a spot of super glue prior to final touch up and weathering.

      Cheers, Dave

      Delete
    3. Can't remember how much I paid without looking at the docket, however I did check a few prices and decided to get mine from White Ensign in the end- seemed best value for money. $10 for two sets sounds good, is that BD stuff too?
      I stuck mine direct to the vehicle using a gel superglue from Bob Smith Industries and then just udercoated the whole lot in light grey artist's gesso.
      Since then I have given the whole lot a basecoat of Vallejo Reflective Green. Trust me, my methods aren't that complicated, maybe a bit longwinded in places, but pretty simple really. Also, I don't have an airbrush so everything is done by hand.

      Delete
    4. No not BD, $10 for resin poured in Melbourne! Will be following your halftrack with a lot of interest - looks great so far.

      Cheers, Dave

      Delete
    5. What resin from Melbourne? You have any details you could share?

      Delete
    6. Its a local operation. If you like I can check if its ok for me to forward their list on to you ...?

      Cheers, Dave

      Delete
    7. Sounds great Dave, are they originals designed by some bloke in Melbourne?
      You could email me on jacksarge777 at gmail dot com

      Delete
    8. John, I've emailed you.

      Cheers, Dave

      Delete
  4. <- Waiting for the results ;-)

    Greetz
    Kukuruza

    ReplyDelete
  5. Busy, busy! Keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to your tutorial - the faces on your Commandos look great so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the illusion of busyness, cover your workbench with enough tat and people think you're a modelling machine ;)
      Yeah, those Commandos are slightly on the backburner at the moment.

      Delete

17th Century Characters...mostly

 Here are some 17th Century character miniatures I finished recently.  28mm metal, mostly from Wargamer Poland: https://sklep.wargamer.pl/gb...